Scientist Computational Biology
Location: Cambridge, MA
Founded in 2016 by Flagship Labs, the innovation foundry of Flagship Pioneering, Kintai Therapeutics is uniquely focused on unlocking the power of the enteric signaling network and its signals throughout the body to fight disease and restore the health of patients. The company’s Precision Enteric Medicine™ (PEM™) discovery and therapeutic platform is based on a deep understanding of the interconnected biology of the microbiome, gut immune system and enteric nervous system. Kintai has pioneered a new frontier in gut science, resulting in a unique understanding of a wealth of new genes, metabolites, and signaling molecules, leveraging these insights to rapidly translate into a highly actionable pipeline. The company’s expertise in chemistry, human biology, experimental medicine, and artificial intelligence represents a biology discovery and therapeutic development engine to rapidly identify and deliver new medicines. Kintai’s multidisciplinary approach has delivered a pipeline of 10+ programs across multiple therapeutic areas, including oncology, neurology, and immunology. Based in Cambridge, MA, Kintai believes that its core strengths lie in the hearts and minds of its talented employees who keep patients at the center of everything we do. To learn more, please visit the company’s website at www.kintaitx.com.
At Kintai, we thrive in the unknown and believe in the power of effective teamwork. We are united in our mission to improve health and fight disease for patients in need. Our unique multidisciplinary approach is a key differentiator. Our team is diverse and our differences make us stronger. Kintai not only encourages, but requires, scientific debate and believes that through our blended experiences we enable the best scientific advances. We care about each other and seek to maintain a transparent and growth minded culture. We also embrace having fun along the way. Our core values exemplify the culture we continue to cultivate each and everyday.
- Pioneering: We create bold innovations that bridge to the future of science and medicine
- Science Driven: We apply exceptional science to bring breakthrough medicines to patients
- Authentic: We embrace the importance of honesty, accountability, transparency and openness
- Collaborative: We succeed when we share knowledge, expertise and experiences to develop revolutionary medicines
As a key member of the Kintai Research and Development team, the Scientist, Computational Biology will enable Kintai’s pioneering work in microbiome pharmacology. In close collaboration with Kintai team members in chemistry, biology, and metabolomics, the candidate will develop and apply computational methods that support Kintai’s efforts to leverage a unique collection of human and microbiome ‘omics data to develop new therapeutics.
- Develop new methodologies to analyze and/or integrate multiple forms of ‘omics data and meta-information to aide in the discovery of novel therapeutic targets and/or therapeutic methodologies
- Process and interpret data generated by Kintai’s Precision Enteric Medicine platform
- Work in collaboration with a cross-disciplinary team to design in vitro and in vivo experiments and clinical studies
- Write, test, and document bioinformatics analysis pipelines
- Serve as quantitative analysis resource across multiple programs
- Maintain detailed records of work conducted via version control and electronic laboratory notebook
- Ph.D. in Computational Biology, Bioinformatics or related field.
- Proficiency in a relevant programming language such as Python, Ruby, or R and standard command line tools
- Significant research experience in computational biology/bioinformatics, with demonstrated ability to work effectively in a closely integrated interdisciplinary team and derive actionable biological conclusions from multi-dimensional ‘omics data sets
- Ability to effectively explain computational analyses and results to audiences of various levels of technical expertise
- Foundational understanding of common methodologies employed in ‘omics data analysis
Preferred Experience and Qualifications
- Demonstrated ability to process and integrate multiple types of ‘omics data (DNA-seq, RNA-Seq, and metabolomics) to derive biological insights
- Successful track record processing and analyzing multi-dimensional human microbiome data (metagenomic, 16S rRNA, and metabolomics)
- Knowledge of metabolic-pathway-oriented analysis methods and experience predicting or annotating enzyme functions
- Demonstrated ability to implement machine learning in biological data analysis
- Comfort with analysis methodologies for human transcriptomics
- Experience with containerization.
- Demonstrated agility; ability to work in a high energy organization with evolving goals and deliverables
- Results Oriented: Self-motivated, curious, accomplishes goals with minimal oversight.
- Communication: Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, ability to work well with colleagues from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Authenticity: Ability to voice their opinion and provide insight to the broader team, even when holding a minority or “out of the box” opinion. Ability to thrive with input from a cross-functional team while remaining the unquestioned expert in her/his area.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send an email including your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Kintai Therapeutics is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Kintai does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, veteran status or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.